Old 27-07-2004, 05:35 AM
Bill R

Default Indiana -- tree question

Suzie-Q wrote:
In article , Bill R
wrote:

- Volfie wrote:
- I'm new to Indiana (only third summer here) so I'm not sure if what I'm
- seeing is usual or not. Lots (and I mean LOTS) of trees seem to have
- leaves
- dying at the very tips of the branches. There are a wide range of hardwood
- trees that I originally thought were changing color very early in the
- season
- but now I can see they have dried up leaves at the very tips of the
- branches. Is this because it has been overly dry (I'm not sure it has,
- actually) or because of the cicada invasion this year? Is there anyone in
- here from central Indiana that can explain this?
-
- Giselle (and it's trees all over -- not just mine -- it is everywhere I
- look)
-
- We have the same problem in my area and it is due mainly to
- the Cicada invasion we had in May and June. If you look at
- this page http://members.iglou.com/brosen/cpage6.htm from my
- web site (the last picture) you will see the damage that the
- female Cicadas did to many trees. This damage made the
- branches weak and many of them died or broke. Fear not,
- mother nature will take care of the problem and by next
- summer you won't notice the problem.

Hey, Bill, those are some great photos!!

Thanks Suzie-Q. The Cicada pages are still getting a lot of
visitors so I guess I'll leave them up for a couple more
months.

When the Cicadas were here everyone was complaining about
the noise. Now, a lot of people are asking "when will they
be back?"
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850