Old 27-07-2004, 05:36 AM
Newbie Bill

Default Why not UV?

Thanks for the encouragement Barbara et al. Can I ask what size you bought
for what size pond?
Thanxx
Bill

"Barbara2245" wrote in message
om...
"Newbie Bill" wrote in message

.com...
I have read time and again you dont need UV to have a clear pond. I

have
found this difficult on a regular basis. I dont get full out blooms

but it
seems I am right on the edge of 'balance'. Some days it seems pretty

clear
and others cloudy towards the bottom. My pond is 800 gals - 2 ft deep.

The
traditional wisdom seems to be a)plants - my pond is stuffed with them
including some now rapidly multiplying floaters. b)shade - I get pretty

much
full sun. That cant be easily changed. I do have very heavy coverage

from
lilies and other - probably 70% or better. c) dont overfeed or overload
fish - I dont think I overfeed BUT the crux of the biscuit is I have

lotsa
primarily comet type goldfish. I have around 30 most 3-5 inches. Most
ranges I have seen say this is acceptable though many of the 'crystal

clear'
posters are very lightly stocked. My pond ,I consider a fish pond with
plants. Many seem to have a watergarden with some fish. All water

quality
numbers are perfect except I do sometimes register as high as 10 in
nitrates. I have heard a few argue that a small amount of measurable
nitrates is beneficial to plants.
So bottom line - if I can find a bargain I might add UV. Aside from

the
pride of being more or less an 'organic watergardener' I have three
questions. 1) Cost is always a consideration to this poor boy but what

are
the other detriments to adding UV. 2)What size? Up to 16W seem to be
available at a reasonable price. This would be my target unless it

seems
inadequate. My budget sez I'm not looking for a slam dunk 40W or

bigger.
3)Are there negatives if I dont run it all the time to kinda check if I

need
it. This would probably be a seperate small pump, slow running,

homemade,
more mechanical filter. I can accept starting the season with green

water.
I am just not in love with seeing it as regularly as I do. The only
negative I have found is the possibility that suspended algae is

actually
growing to consume nitrates and UV might cause them to become excess.

If I
had rountinely clear water and that was the case I would consider

thinning
the herd.
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Two years ago I bought a Laguna Powerclear UV which is an out of the
pond filter. My water was so green I could only seen 6-12 inches down.
I now can see the fish and a rock that fell to the bottom. It Cost
$89, 6' of hose, a 2' wide planter to cover it on a board and some
larger clamps. My pond is in full sun and no amount of plants could
clear it. Happy water gardeningis watching my fish.