Old 27-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Default how to grow moss on rocks?

Technique sounds GREAT. Full moss, fast.

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

"chagoi" wrote in message
Dave and Miss wrote:
Does anyone out there know an effective technique for growing moss on

rocks
around the waterfall. I'm going for the natural look and would like to

make
them look like they've been there forever. Thanks.....Dave
http://photos.yahoo.com/jeepin9557

I have not tried the yogart method, seem like that would only work well
on damp rocks not ones in any type of moving water.

My proven method to grow moss on rocks is to:

1. Find a sizable patch of moss.
2. Get the biggest most flexable cheapist "GINSU" type knife.
3. slice the moss loose from the ground leaving about 3/4 -1" of soil
around the roots of the moss.
4. Place the section of moss "upside down in a mess type basket
(plastic plant container from the HD or nursery at hold 8 of the 6
pack containers of plants)
5. Using the jet stream position on the garden hose nozzle. Gently wash
most of the soil from the roots of the moss.
6. you should be left with a mat of moss with partially exposed roots
7. place the moss mat on the rocks and secure them with small rocks, if
the water flow is fast.
8. in a week or two they will start to attach themselves to the rocks,
you then can remove any of the rocks you don't want. and the moww
should stay in place

I have used this methode fot the last 2 years. The moss grows extremely
fast. I placed 3 empty trapdoor snail shells on a ledge of my WaterWall
and in 4 days the moss attached itself to the shells enough that I could
not remove the shells without tearing the moss.

http://ourkoipond.com/
This picture is of the WaterWall of the 100 gallon pond 3 weeks after I
installed the pond Last Year 2003.

http://ourkoipond.com/PondPics2.htm
show the pond several weeks later 2003

http://ourkoipond.com/061704.htm
pictures as of 6/17/2004

I will try to take a few pictures tomorrow of the pond as the moss
coverage has increased dramatically in the last month.

Also of the "Great Stuff" Waterfalls with partially attached moss.

/\/\ike
Chagoi
http://ourkoipond.com