Old 27-07-2004, 01:06 PM
Justin Diaz

Default [IBC] Shaping and Pruning Juniperus Chinensis

Hi Bernie, welcome to the list!

Junipers are hardy, sturdy little plants. They grow really fast as well.
Juniper pruning can typically be done at any time of year. I like to wait
and carry out MAJOR pruning, like removing a trunk of a twin trunk or
something of similar scale until later in the year, towards Fall, because
they tend to ooze out less sap at that time. But that's only for larger
Junipers, and even then not too much.

Juniperus Chinensis is a sturdy little tree. Constant, yes CONSTANT
pinching and small pruning will be needed to keep the tree neat and clean
and develop the foliage pads, done throughout the year (save winter). You
may wire at any time also. I've wired at any number of times throughout
the year, including winter, and no time really seems to work better than
another, although if you wire in winter or spring, keep a close eye on it
so that it doesn't begin to cut into the trunk or branches.

Best of luck,

Justin

"With experience comes wisdom. Age alone guarantees nothing."

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/
--

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++