Old 27-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Kay

Default scorpions in Sheerness

In article , Tim Challenger
writes
On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:26:13 +0100, Victoria Clare wrote:

Tim Challenger wrote in
:

... when it's warm. I once found three apparently dead lizards on
the path standing like statues one frosty morning. To my surprise,
when I picked one up, it jerked like a mechanical toy.

I doubt if a cat would be terribly interested in something that moved
as much as a stick.

Sticks 'jerk like a mechanical toy' where you come from, do they ?

Only when I pick them up. I'd have thought most cats would have ignored an
object "standing like statues" on the ground and concentrate on something
that was moving.

No, IME if something looks different or smells different, or wasn't
there when they last passed that way, they will prod it with a paw and
see if they get a reaction. After all, a lot of prey animals will
'freeze' in the hope of escaping detection, and cats would lose out on a
lot of free meals (not to mention hunting practice) if they didn't try
some prodding.
--
Kay