Old 27-07-2004, 03:04 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Deer driving me nuts

"Ray Jestheimier" wrote in message
news:QdeNc.167031$IQ4.70974@attbi_s02...

Seems like you are saying that this is a human made problem and not a deer
problem.

Sounds to me like one of your hobbies is ignoring reality. :-)

Here's an example, one which YOU know is typical all over America:

I live in Rochester NY. The population of the city proper is declining
slowly, but remaining pretty much level within the county. Many people don't
want to live near blacks, gays and Hispanical folks, so even though the
city's full of gorgeous houses and fine neighborhoods, people are moving to
the suburbs. Twenty years ago, those suburbs were beautiful rolling farm
properties - really productive ones, too. Production was about evenly
divided between dairy feed and vegetables for canning/freezing. Now, they're
being gobbled up by housing developers. Because many developers are as dumb
as a bag of hammers, they like to remove the large wooded patches which
existed between the farm properties. Instinctively, this is where deer spend
much of their time. Ask a hunter about this, or pay attention to where the
deer crossing signs are located along roads.

Here's the tricky part: If there are ten patches of woods in a given area
and you remove eight of them, the deer will still seek out the remaining
two. This is where they find shelter at certain times of day, and food in
particular seasons. If YOU needed a place to sleep in the middle of January,
you'd head for woods, not an open field.

So, the more they wander, the more interesting things they find, like our
gardens.

Call it a deer problem if you like. It's really an interface problem. I have
no problem with hunting to control the deer population, but in addition to
that, I think we should regulate what stupid developers are allowed to do
insofar as removing habitat.