Old 27-07-2004, 04:06 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Wild wild rocket

"datsy" wrote in message ...
If I get it wrong when using my field guide to identify wild rocket
(actually, in my Collins FG, 'Hedge mustard' is what they call
Sisymbrium officinale, which in turn is what the Internet seems to
call 'wild rocket'), eating the wrong close relative won't do me any
harm, will it?

Just as a matter of interest, why is "wild rocket" in the supermarket called
"wild rocket" in the first place??

First, maybe they're a bunch of lying *******s. Second, I fancy it's
come to us this way through Italian usage (could be wrong here, and
have only a tiny Italian dictionary) and got a bit mangled en route.

Though the Collins Field Guide uses "Hedge mustard" for what the
Internet calls "wild rocket", the botanical name also seems, from the
'net at any rate, to apply to cultivated varieties sold as "rocket". I
assume that by "wild" the sellers mean the type, as distinct from
cultivars: Italians are very good on wild vegetables.

Mike.