Old 27-07-2004, 06:08 PM
Brent Walston

Default [IBC] Root growing from cuttings

At 09:12 AM 7/27/04 -0400, you wrote:
Well, the cuttings I'm trying to grow roots on are oak. White oak and
black oak I thing they are. I tried growing maple by root stimulation from
cuttings but with no luck. However the only luck I've had has bin with
willow. The willow cuttings grew roots after about 2 weeks. I don't know
if it was because of the gel or because willows( I've read) are very easy
to propagate. I also read that cuttings should be taken in winter, but can
also be taken in mid summer.

Dan

Oaks are extremely difficult to root from cuttings, better leave those for
experts and grow them from seed (acorns) which is very easy. Some maples
are easy, others difficult, it depends on the species. Semi hardwood
cuttings in summer is the preferred method for most cuttings these days.
This is explained in the Cuttings article that I pointed out to you.
Willows don't need hormone at all. Most maples require a fairly high IBA
content, but again it varies with the species.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++