Old 27-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Hal

Default Why not UV?

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:35:20 GMT, "Newbie Bill"
wrote:

I have read time and again you dont need UV to have a clear pond. I have
found this difficult on a regular basis.

Ultraviolet light in contact with water kills microscopic life,
including algae, at different exposure rates. To insure efficiently
of the UV filter/clarifier one would choose a wattage and water flow
rate to match the pump you use to pass the water through the UV
clarifier. to insure the uv light contact with the water is long
enough to do the job. I have an 1800 gph pump and an 18 watt UV that
clears up to 2000 gph.

Only down side I know of is if you want to raise fry or tadpoles, the
UV does kill some of the micriaquatics these small critters would feed
on.

Regards, Hal
http://members.cox.net/hrclark1/Index.html