Old 27-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Vox Humana

Default Home Depot politics

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:58:48 GMT, (The Watcher)
wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:28:18 GMT, "Vox Humana"

wrote:

(snip)
You must have bad luck. I have been posting to Usenet for several years

and
haven't seen a single newsgroup that doesn't have a fair amount of OT

posts.
Likewise, I haven't seen any newsgroup that was destroyed by such posts.
Most people are smart enough to avoid posts that don't appeal to them.

With
judicious use of filters and killfiles you don't even have to see the

posts.
I don't know why people would suddenly lose interest in gardening

because
someone posted a politically slanted article about a store with a garden
center. That seems as puzzling as all the people who claim that

everyone
would lose interest in marriage if it were make available to same-sex
couples.

Is THAT what they're claiming? I've been trying to figure out what

they're
talking about when they say "same sex marriage would "destroy"

traditional
marriage", since the people who say that don't seem capable of explaining

what
that is supposed to mean. :/

That's all I come away with. Rick Santorum keeps saying that some
unspecified Scandinavian county adopted same-sex marriage and all the
straight people stopped getting married. Of course there are no
Scandinavian countries with same-sex marriage, only civil unions - an
institution that even Rick Santorum says would be possible under the Federal
Marriage Amendment. It reminds me of all the hysteria in the 1960's when
civil rights laws precluded discrimination in housing and many people
screamed that if you let blacks into your neighborhood it would be ruined.
There are plenty of county clubs that are afraid to let women or Jews into
the ranks for fear of ruination. I have never heard a rational argument to
support any of these arguments.