Old 27-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Bonnie

Default Need Expert Advice

Norm wrote:
I know enough about outdoor fish ponds to be "dangerous". I built three
small ones on my property when I lived in Florida for over 25 years. Now I
am back in New Jersey and I think some of the rules have changed --- not the
least of which is the weather. So here are my brief questions:

1) Some pond suppliers have said I only need go as deep as 18-24 inches for
fish to survive the winter (goldfish and koi --- noting exotic for me). The
pond will only be about 7' x 7'.

2) I never needed a UV filter in Coral Gables but I am seeing that almost
everyone recommends them here. Do I also opt for a pre-filter.

3) In Florida I used the standard 40 mil liner ... should I spring for the
60 mil for added peace of mind?

4) Aside from raccoons (I covered my pond at night --- the only way I could
beat 'em), I never found an adequate way to control frog breeding (tadpoles)
or mosquito larvae. My cichlid pond never had a problem --- it was "snack
food" for them; but my koi and goldfish never quite kept those pests from
intruding all the time. Any ideas?

Thanking you all in advance --- I expect to be a frequent visitor here ---
the threads are very informative.

Norm

Hi Norm,
You don't mention what part of Jersey you're in, but fish
can and do survive in my 2' pond very well. I'm in NW NJ -
Warren Co. But I dug a deeper koi pond.
I've never needed a UV and don't intend to get one. My
goldfish pond is 60ml, I wouldn't do that again. Way to
heavy and Ken at Kenco sells a much better product (I just
can't think of the name). It's stiff (foldable) and very
light weight so it's cheaper to ship.
I haven't had any problems with raccoons but I have had a
few herons visit.
--
Bonnie
NJ