Old 27-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Vox Humana

Default What to Plant in Fall?

"Jenny" wrote in message
This is my first year planting perennials. I'd greatly appreciate some

tips
about what I should consider planting this fall.

In particular I need to find out what stuff, besides tulips and daffodils

,
has to be planted in the fall in order to bloom the next year. Bulbs?
seeds? potted nursery plants? All suggestions welcome!

I'm in the colder part of Zone 5 on a partly shaded hill near the MA/VT/NH
border.

Fall is generally a good time for planting, provided your fall is cool and
moist. You can plant virtually any potted plant or containerized shrub or
tree. I like to give them a good 6 weeks to settle in before nasty weather
sets in. Another good reason for planting in the fall is that nurseries and
garden centers are cleaning out their plants because they can't or don't
want to hold them over until spring. That means you can get some good
bargains. There are many plants for shade. I would also suggest that you
order some catalogs for reference. You can get some good ideas of what
would be appropriate at www.bluestoneperennials.com If you look under the
online catalog tab, there is a custom search feature.