Old 28-07-2004, 12:04 AM
MC

Default How are the vegies, everyone?

G'day Jim,

That sounds like a great idea as a possum deterent!

I asked a bloke I met the other day what he does about the possums and he
replied, "It's called ratsak".

Hmmm ... I wasn't very impressed with that response (however tempting it
might be). As much as I want a beautiful, lush and productive garden, I just
don't value my plants that highly over the lives of a bunch of native
animals!

Cheers for the advice about your dog Jess though ... I might "borrow" my
mates dog ... hehehe.

Cheers,
Mick

"SG1" wrote in message
Would you loke a lend of Jess, my 4 1/2 year old Blue Cattle Dog. Looks

good
in any garden except mine where she is trained to not be.
Jim

"MC" surftravelATyahooDOTcom wrote in message
HELP! The possums have already discovered my patch and chewed / pulled a

few
seedlings apart!!!

I have heard that some old loose/unstable fencing (about a meter high)
around the garden should deter them from the greenery within?!

Anyone had any succes with this or got any better ideas, as the fencing
really takes away from the beauty of the garden!

Cheers,
Mick

"MC" surftravelATyahooDOTcom wrote in message
Thanks for the tips Len! The garden has been a breeze to set up and is
composting down nicely!

I have just had another HUGE day in the garden, after getting a heap

of
(cheap) seedlings from the Caboolture Markets. I have put in 5

different
varieties of lettuce, some spinach, silverbeet, snow peas, beans, more
parsley, some marigolds and petunias for colour, and some squash.

Phew!!! Glad they're all in now ... and with no sign of frosts and

nice
warm
days (and nights) of late, I'm hoping for the best!

The other seedlings I put in about a week and a half ago are coming

along
nicely - slow, but there are signs of steady growth there!

I must also add that I reckon (with my limited experience) the old

blood
and
bone must be one of the best fertilisers around - I spread some on my
parsely a couple of weeks ago and now they are the richest green

colour
have ever seen (in any plant!) and taste an absolute treat! I've had

success
with it in other gardens also!

Cheers again,
Mick

"len gardener" wrote in message
news g'day mick,

a long time since i have seen a sheet mulch garden started, way to

go
and too easy hey?

hey if you aren't getting any frosts and got good sun in the garden
area go for it you could be the first with summer season pickings,
it'll probably come back to how warm the planting medium is as to

how
well the plants mature they may be slow but they are there for when
spring comes. don't worry about too close together we all do that

even
after years the plants don't seem to mind.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and

the
environment

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete

before
you send.