Old 28-07-2004, 01:05 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Default Evaporation

Kieth,

There are some empirical ways to find out about your rate of evaporation.
There is a sheet on it (that we wrote a few years ago). I forgot who has it
now.

Briefly, put a cut off milk jug in the pond on a solid base. Fill it to the
same level as the pond. Let both sit. They face essentially the same
evaporation rates. If the pond goes down at a markedly faster rate than the
jug, you have a leak. In this experiment, both the jug and the pond need to
be still. You can't have the pond running a lot of water over the falls,
etc, increasing the evaporation of the pond.

Let us know if you try it.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message
I live in central Indiana, and we have experienced daytime temperatures
between 75 and 90 degrees with dew points of 55 to 65 degrees.

My pond has about 120 square feet of surface area.

Can someone give me an estimate, in gallons, of the evaporation during a
day.