Old 28-07-2004, 01:05 AM
Nathan A. Smith

Default How to clean up "brown water"

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:03:56 -0400, Gale Pearce wrote:

also I
wouldn't put lava rock in the pump compartment as it will eventually

clog up
and starve your pump burning it out.

Ok, I am confused. When I bought my pump orignally, I was told that
placing it in a box full of lava rock would be good to "protect it".

So how does lava rock clog up the filter? At worst it would seem that the
rock could put some rock dust in the pond....

Hi Nathan

Your Savio skimmer is protecting your pump with the coarse filter pads and
leaf basket in it - the lava rock isn't needed - BUT if you didn't have the
skimmer and just set the pump into the pond, it would clog up with plant
debris etc and cause your pump to starve for water, run hot and eventually
burning out the bearings. Actually, ( amending my first statement) the lava
rock might not hurt anything as the water is already prefiltered
mechanically by the basket and pads and IMHO it just isn't needed. I am sure
when you bought the pump, they didn't know about the skimmer - they assumed
you were putting the pump directly in the pond
Gale :~)

Ok cool,

I think I got all that.

The reason I was looking at placing lava rock into the basin around the
pump is to provide a place for "good bacteria" to live. In other words I
wanted to create a small bio-filter next to the pump. Since lava rock --
or some other material (like the nylon scrubbers) allow for bacteria to
grown on them -- wouldn't this work?

Nasa