Old 28-07-2004, 02:04 AM
bluegill phil

Default muck from filter is it a health hazard

somebody posted this link
http://www.marylanddoctors.org/outdo..._infection.htm
"For a wound incurred in ocean, river, or lake water, administer
ciprofloxacin or trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole as an additional
antibiotic". So there must be something. Even though I grew up
swimming in ponds that were funkier than most of your filters.Cow and
horse sewers. All I got was swimmers ear that was very unpleasant.

On 27 Jul 2004 07:18:05 -0700, (Lieutenant Kizhe
Katson) wrote:

"hviking" wrote in message ...
Maybe I'm over reacting but I am wondering if the Muck I rinse out of the
filter from my goldfish pond can be a health hazard? Does anyone know?

This is really a question for Ingrid.

Given that birds (and in my case, raccoons grrrr) crap in the pond,
the water in general would not be considered potable-quality. And I
suppose walking barefoot in the pond if you had an open cut on your
foot might be asking for something nasty. But provided you observe
basic hygiene (like washing thoroughly after ponding, and before
eating), the muck in general should be no more dangerous than garden
dirt.

-- Kizhe