Old 28-07-2004, 02:04 AM
Mickey

Default Feeding Koi

I am going to feed mine the Mosquitoes from the mosquito magnet.

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
Size and number of fish are controlling factors here. A small number of
fish, or small fish, will find plenty of good bugs in the algae sweater of
the pond, snails, veggies, and the like. As you get more fish, and larger
fish, the pond gets smaller and the availability of the natural goodies is
not enough to go around and then the fish need to be fed supplemental
foods.
I feed mine 3 or 4 times a day during the heat of the summer, and since I
heat to about 70 degrees all winter, I feed twice a day during the winter.
I have in my larger pond around 25 fish at any given time with an average
length of about 24 inches and a total weight of fish approaching 250 to
300
pounds. They would not survive without supplemental feeding.
--
RichToyBox
"Nathan A. Smith" wrote in message
news
Hi again,

2nd question....

I would like the groups thoughts on feeding koi. It seems there are
many ideas about it.

I have read on the "web of misinformation" that people have successfully
kept koi (and goldfish) in outdoor ponds -- and never feed them, leaving
them to mother nature.

I have had salesmen totally freak at the idea of not feeding goldfish --
which most websites say can (and some say should) be done.

I have read that koi need to be feed from multiple times a day to not
at all -- depending on the water tempature.

So what does the group think?

Nasa