Old 28-07-2004, 05:14 AM
Glenna Rose

Default growing zukes for seed

writes:
I'd like to let some go for seed for next year. How big is big enough? I
just got back from vacation and picked two that are longer than my arm (
my house-sitter ignored my request to pick them when they were small)
and the seeds still look small and white. Should I compost these and
try again? Or will they germinate after they have dried some?

Dawn

If you have a way to dry them (food dehydrator or oven), try some like
that before you give up. From here last year, I understand they are good
dried. I planted one plant this year to try it. The first one was ready
Sunday, but I gave that one to a dear neighbor who loves the stuff
(Really!!!) and has no luck growing them. I think it's the 3-minute a day
watering they get, no chance to put down roots and no real water in the
soil.

It seems logical that chips from them would be good. You have those two
monsters, give it a try. Maybe even fruit leather, or vegetable leather?

Glenna
not a fan