Old 28-07-2004, 05:15 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Default Feeding Koi

We have nine koi and perhaps 6 goldfish. They would not make it without
food. They are thriving now at 20+ inches and 6 years. We use
catfish/trout food for them...they are carp, after all. Some knock the
food, but it is very cheap ($11/50# bag) and nutritious. Our game biologist
sees no problem with it. We just can't see feeding $3.95 koi food that
costs more per month than they did! Some have suggested that the catfish
food was for early growth and would shorten their life by as much as 20%.
On a lifespan of 50-200 years, that is not too big a deal...especially since
I am almost 60...(ummmm make that 39 and holding). The archives will have a
lot of info for you about koi food. Whatever you do, enjoy them.

Site below shows you them a year and two ago.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

"Nathan A. Smith" wrote in message
news
Hi again,

2nd question....

I would like the groups thoughts on feeding koi. It seems there are
many ideas about it.

I have read on the "web of misinformation" that people have successfully
kept koi (and goldfish) in outdoor ponds -- and never feed them, leaving
them to mother nature.

I have had salesmen totally freak at the idea of not feeding goldfish --
which most websites say can (and some say should) be done.

I have read that koi need to be feed from multiple times a day to not
at all -- depending on the water tempature.

So what does the group think?

Nasa