Old 28-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Cichlidiot

Default Mystery Creature in Maryland and it's not BV

Ka30P wrote:
Cut and paste to see picture
http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/3...dpswid=1946268
&dppid=68757

Very poor pictures from the article, but I wouldn't discount the
possibility of it being an exotic. With the state of exotic animal
smuggling these days, it's entirely possible that it's an escapee from
some illegal situation. Thus the "owners" would not report it missing (as
a zoo would if an animal went missing from an exhibit). I remember seeing
a story in Florida about some large "mystery monster" that turned out to
be a large reptile (and by large I mean several feet in length) and
several of its smaller friends that escaped from an exotic reptile
importer down the road. That importer was legal, but known to authorities
for having escaped reptiles due to shoddy cages.

I'm sure if they actually got an expert out there, they could figure out
what the animal is quite rapidly. Those pictures are really too poor to do
anything but speculate. Even the mange theory is just that, because you
can't really see the skin well enough to see if it has a skin disorder,
just that a mane is sometimes seen in advanced mange cases. An in person
sighting by an expert would likely clear the matter up quickly. I'm
willing to bet the news station nor the neighborhood authorities have
bothered yet because they don't feel threatened by the animal. Proclaiming
"oddity spotted" gets a lot more attention than "authorities find animal
with severe mange" or "authorities find exotic animal running loose" from
the news perspective anyways.