Old 28-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Volfie

Default Bugs in a black oak

"toller" wrote in message
Maybe there is a better group for this, but I couldn't find it.

I have a large black oak tree by the edge of a lake in Rochester NY. Each
spring it develops holes that drip goopy brown stuff. Presumably it is an
insect infestation. Naturally I am looking for a solution, as I would

hate
to lose the tree. There is a lot of dead wood on it, but it leafs out
normally every year and doesn't "seem" to be getting any worse.

Last week there was a bad windstorm that brought down some of the

deadwood.
Inside was
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/bugs.jpg
I don't know if these are the problem or just something that took up
residence in the deadwood, but it might be a good start.
Any idea what this is, and how it can be treated? (or is there a more
appropriate group to try?)

Thanks.

Many, many, many, MANY years ago, (before the internet), I had a similar
problem with a peach tree. I didn't know what to do to save it so I started
at each oozing hole and followed it up through the trunk with a sharp knife,
digging out the damaged parts until I dug out the grub that was invariably
at the end of the tunnel. Then I patched the path with tar. The tree lived
for another dozen years or so until a bad windstorm took it down because,
afterall, it was riddled with holes and tar channels.

I'm sure this was no help at all but, if I were you, I'd get an expert
QUICK!

Giselle (don't think I've ever heard of a black oak)