Old 28-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Bill Oliver

Default Virus Warning

In article ,
Jim Shaffer, Jr. wrote:
First, anyone who couldn't figure out that it was spam of *some* sort, viral or
not, shouldn't be on the net.

Second, anyone who can't tell an executable file from a picture shouldn't be on
the net.

The latter may not be obvious at all. I use a Linux box and read mail/news
in ascii only, so when an html message pops up I end up having to peruse
the html code. Doing that on a couple of spams has been interesting. In
one set, the link has one name but the ref has another. In another variant,
the name is obfuscated by a lot of white space (e.g.

"funnypicture.jpg .exe" with the last
part overwritten. Thus, even people who know the difference between
an executable file and a picture can be fooled...

billo