Old 22-07-2004, 01:26 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Default Ultra Modern Daylilies

On 7/22/04 8:03 AM, in article , "Wil"
wrote:

"Michelle" wrote in message
just proovs I'd never make it rubbing elbows with the rich gardeners
I'm just too satisfied with the old tried and true although I have a
very pretty canna that I got from a friend and it is doing quite well
and I get a lot of ooo's and ahhh's from the neighbors
but I think that it's just not worth it to pay through the nose for a
fancy flower like that unless you are a nursery who plans to grow and
sell it it's like paying two hundred and fifty dollars for some sort
of new sneaker or six thousand dollars for a suit just to wear once I
guess if you have nothing better to do with your money go ahead go
crazy

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:23:47 -0400, "Wil" wrote:

Daylily growers and hybridizers are not rich folks. Some are scientists in
horticulture. Some are plenty wealthy though from a life time of work in
other unrelated career fields. I sell plenty of tried and true older
daylilies for $6. They are much less expensive from me, a daylily
counasour, than from the garden centers who pay less for a daylily tissue
culture than I pay for a true division, but the garden centers over charge
for the variety. I can sell you a very nice newer developed daylily for
$15. The very expensive ones are for collectors and breeders and those who
want the "rolls royce" of NEW daylily introductions. Given a little time
the $200 daylily will be $6. It is supply and demand. When they are so
plentiful I chop them up. They are of little value unless someone rescues
it.

Wil

Well said.

I sell daylilies from my garden to word of mouth customers (friends of
friends, typically) - very few things for more than $10 for a triple fan for
a newer intro.

I refuse to buy anything that is a first year intro that is more than $50;
sometimes even I just HAVE TO have it.

Cheryl