Old 25-07-2004, 12:56 AM
Warren

Default Virus Warning

Bill R wrote:
You are correct on both points but the plain truth is that
millions of people are just not computer savvy. Tom was
just posting the information for those in that group. It
has been reported that many people ARE clicking on the link
and just maybe the warning will prevent one of our gardening
friends from getting hit.

The problem is, those people who didn't already know (or at least
suspect) that something was amiss with the rogue post wouldn't see Tom's
warning in time. Either they were zapped already, or they're reading the
posts (or threads) in chronological order, and will be zapped before
getting to this thread.

It was a nice gesture. But even if it came yesterday, it was too late.

The lesson that can be reinforced to the rest of us is to remember that
warnings never come fast enough for the gullible. Anyone who just *has*
to see "news" photos before they're released (we'll ignore the
unlikelihood of them being in rec.gardens before being on every TV
station on the dial) really needs to take a breath, and weigh the
possibility of damage over the need to know something a little ahead of
everyone else. At least wait for either the warnings, or for it to
become public knowledge.

Same goes for your bank, credit card company, or anyone else you do
business with needing to confirm information right away. If they need it
so quickly that you don't have the chance to call them on the phone to
confirm it's really them, then it's something bad for you.

I'm sure we'll see plenty of these for years to come, and the real
lesson (which I know we already know) is don't let them rush you. Don't
let them come up with *any* reason that convinces you to act faster than
the warnings can come, or faster than you can confirm something. The
most basic part of any con is getting you to act fast. Too fast.

Most of the people who act too fast in most cons knew better to begin
with. They just forgot. Think before acting. Ask before acting. That's
the message that needs to constantly be hammered into our human heads,
and Tom's message has been a catalyst for this discussion.

BTW... This doesn't just apply to downloading files, or opening
messages, or even computers. It applies to watching out when someone
offers us a tool or a plant, and tries to entice us to act faster than
we should. Impulse buys are fun if it's your impulse. If it's someone
else playing you into making an impulsive decision, you'll get burned.
And again, the warnings won't come along fast enough to save the most
impulsive of us.

Any one who can say they've never been conned either is lying, or
they're so dumb they haven't even realized they've been conned yet! And
most of us, given a long enough life, will fall victim again. But the
more we repeat the lesson to think before acting, perhaps the fewer
times we'll be suckered while we're still around.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Books for the Pacific Northwest gardener:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/nwgardener/index.html