Old 29-07-2004, 12:24 AM
Some Guy

Default Lawn fertilizer hurting tomato plants?

Warren wrote:

sprayed lawn with a liquid lawn fertilizer (20-3-4)
some over-spray got on a few potted tomato plants.
tomato plants looked somewhat shriveled without
actually being wilted or droopy.

The fertilizer contained no herbicide or weed killer.
Just 20% nitrogen, 3% Phosphorus (Phosphoric acid)
and 4% soluble potash.
Would something like this be harmful to tomato plants?

At the peak of summer, that much nitrogen fertilizer is bad
for anything. Plants are either trying to go dormant in the
heat, or divert energy to surviving the heat.

This summer so far we've been cooler than normal (great-lakes area).
And wetter than normal. Nothing is going dormant around here. Last
summer I watered like crazy in July and August. Not this summer.

Still doesn't answer my question - that is, did the liquid lawn
fertilizer hitting the leaves / stems of the tomato plants cause them
to shrivel?