Old 24-07-2004, 09:15 PM
paghat

Default Zygocactus/Xmas Cactus

In article , "Volfie"
wrote:

"paghat" wrote
An old, big christmas cactus is a wonderful thing, it can bulk up its
center & almost become bonsai-tree-like, & as long as the tips are pruned,
it blooms fabulously & couldn't do better. The only conceivable reason I
can think of to toss the parent would be if someone didn't want a bulked
up big plant that needed a much bigger pot, as eventually the roots do
outgrow a smaller pot.

I love it huge. It can grow until I have to plant it in kiddie pool, I
don't care.

I wonder if the advice isn't misdirected from the recommended care of
orchid cacti, which bloom all along their scalloped edges, but only once
at each dent.

[..]

Okay, I have never heard of those but I wonder if it's what I saw one time
in a lawyer's office. He had a HUGE plant that had enormous flowers on it
that looked like the Christmas cactus' flowers but were much bigger. And
this plant was on a stand about four feet tall and it almost draped to the
floor. Is that what an Orchid cactus looks like? I always wanted one of
whatever that was but I never got to ask him.

Sounds like that's what it was. Here's my page on orchid cacti:
http://www.paghat.com/orchidcactus.html
They're super easy to grow in diffuse light.

-paghat

Giselle (who just lost my 35 year old jade tree and almost had a stroke
about it)

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"