Old 29-07-2004, 05:07 PM
David Kotschessa

Default Flowering Basil

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Phisherman wrote:

On 28 Jul 2004 11:56:05 -0700, (Fleemo) wrote:

My basil has gone nuts this season (a good thing) but is now flowering
profusely. Will the taste be affected by flowering, like lettuce?
Can I just cut it way back with some shears and still have quality
basil?

-F

Harvest Basil before it flowers. Most of the time I get 2 or 3
clippings from Basil. Clipping it will cause it to bush out more.

I have a crazy growing Basil too. Basically I have been grabbing entire
stalks instead of leaves (I never really asked HOW I was supposed to do it
so I sort of just did my thing). If I keep doing this and never give it a
chance to bloom will it retain it's usefulness for awhile?

I made a salad the other night with no other kinds of leaves, just Basil.
I had heard the idea from somebody else. Basil, cherry tomatoes, onions
(I used green onions) some grated cheese, olive oil. ohhhh yeah