Old 28-07-2004, 10:35 PM
wendy7

Default Ant infested orchids

Yes Mariana it is okay for the plants and I gave them a good flush the day
after treating them.
I remember one plant was teaming with the little black ants so I took it out
the g/h & sprinkled the
plant. Went back in the afternoon to check, there was a black ring of ants
on the concrete also
a ring of white eggs!!!! All dead.
Still have not be out to the potting shed, to look for the name, just
had a cast put on
my foot so I am not too nimble at the moment.
It is Ortho & in a round cylinder type container.
Let us know what happens.
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

GrlIntrpted wrote:
Thanks so very much Wendy. Do I just sprinkle it on the orchid
media? Is it safe for the orchids?

Mariana

"Wendy" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 00:49:52 GMT, GrlIntrpted wrote:

Many of my orchids are enjoying the outdoors this summer. As a
result, many got infested by ants, many of the Catts and the Catts
hybrids, those that are in pots as well as those that are mounted.
I see ants congragating on new growths (probably enjoying the sap).
Now I think that there is nothing to worry about (for now), but I
heard somewhere that ants generally attract scales and other
unwanted kaka. Also, in about 2 months I'm going to start thinking
of bringing them in, and obviously I'm concerned about the ants. I
have over 200 pots and mounts that will probably need to be treated
somehow. Can anyone recommend what I need to do in order to rid the
plants of these pesky creatures w/o damaging the plants? Any
chemicals that are easy to spray or treat the orchids with? Do I
need to repot every one of them before I take them indoors?
Assistance much appreciated.

Mariana

Mariana, There is some ant killer put out by Ortho. It is a powder in
a tubular container. "Ant Stop" Ant Guard or something like that.
Just be careful of kids & pets.
Will try to get the right name for you. It works!!!
Cheers Wendy