Old 25-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] transporting succulents and cacti

Jim Lewis wrote:

None of the jade trees (Crassula sp.) are native to North America
as far as I know, so you're just as likely to pay the same for a
nursery specimen in AZ as here.

Not neccesarily. Robert Barron told me recently that he saw jade trees at a
Walmart in Arizona--5 gal. size with trunks 3-4" at least. $42. Out here a jade
tree like that would be in the hundreds of dollars if you could even find one,
which is quite rare.

You'll have to extend your
honeymoon for South Africa to find them in their native habitats.

I think I knew that. ;0} I was thinking of cacti.

In NY, all the cacti (except, perhaps, Opuntia sp.) probably will
be indoor plants for 8 months of the year.

I bring my succulents out when it's above 50 at night, which is usually in May. I
just acquired a small Opuntia, so that might stay out a bit longer. They come in
sometime in September depending on how the fall is progressing.

Cactus are often sold (via mail) with NO soil on the roots, so
carrying them soilless in a box on the plane (?) should be no
problem.

That's what I thought. thanks, Jim, and ovais, for also passing on your
experience.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++