Old 26-07-2004, 08:52 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default scorpions?

In article ,
Rodger Whitlock wrote:
On 26 Jul 2004 11:52:04 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

I know of little evidence for the first. While there may be more
than the one colony reported, they are NOT favoured by the weather
changes, as most of them are dry climate creatures (from choice),
and "warmer and wetter" is not good news. That is why they (and
termites) tend to not establish in the UK except in the occasional
building.

Have you not heard of "dampwood termites"? Down in California,
drywood termites are a serious problem -- it's common to see a
house entirely enveloped in a polyethylene shroud for fumigation.
However, they are uncommon in the damper Pacific Northwest.

Instead we have dampwood termites, which are a major factor is
the natural recycling of fallen trees. They are only a problem in
buildings if there's a leaky pipe or wholly inadequate
ventilation that causes serious moisture buildup. The wood has to
be damp for them to attack it.

No, I hadn't. Thanks for the education :-)

The equivalent here is woodworm, combined with death watch beetle,
wet rot and dry rot - all have the characteristics you mention,
despite two being fungi :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.