Old 29-07-2004, 01:23 PM
Tim Challenger

Default Urgent help wanted

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:01:56 +0100, David Hill wrote:

This year I planted out just over 200 canna lilies.
The last 3 weeks something is nipping off the young shoots leaving what look
like beak marks.
now in the last 24 hours the attack has also gone on to include a yellow
flowered canna with flowers about 18 inches off the ground and a row of
Courgettes next to the cannas has had around 20 flowers removed since
yesterday evening.
I suspect something like Magpies.
Has anyone else had the same sort of thing?
Any ideas on how to stop this attack

Sparrows, greenfinches and blue tits I've seen picking flowers off plants
(presumably looking for insects).
Field mice? (doubtful) A bit high up for them I'd have thought.

A magpie is possible I suppose, or a blackbird. it's amazing what a
disturbance they can make.

--
Tim C.