Old 26-07-2004, 02:46 PM
magnolia

Default what's Madeiran "draguiero"?

Janet Baraclough.. wrote:
The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

Hey JB!!!! Not much chance of heat up there gal. Now if it requires a
lot of rain they your home and dry ... or wet as the case may be.

Mag's:-)

Sounds like it requires a bit of heat and dry conditions Janet, needs a
garden in the South perhaps, and one quite near London in a dry spot, I
wonder who might have such a garden? :-)

Oooh, I dunno anyone like that, Bob in Runnymede, 17miles west of
London...except my toxic sister, and we can count her out.

Thanks Phil and Sacha, that's it! I think it will have to be a
houseplant here. Now all I need is a 70ft tall house, or a brave knight
in Runnymede 17 miles west of London, to save me from too many dragons
:-) Another one germinated today, so if they survive a Scottish summer,
Bob, I'll send you one when they are big enough. Remind me in autumn.

I've got another dragon-plant..I mention this because I know Susie
Thompson, and Cormaic's missus Karen, are dragon fans. It's persicaria
vaccinifolium Red Dragon, which in sun produces dark red/purple leaves
on viperish zig zag stems. In shade, they are overcast with a beautiful
greenish bloom V-shape like a dragon's tongue. In my last, cold garden
on the Scottish mainland, it had to be cajoled, cosseted and given
winter cover etc. Here on Arran, it has found it's feet and is ramping
away like a fiery beast.

Janet.