Old 29-07-2004, 02:36 PM
Susan Gillispie

Default Mystery Plants Need Identification

Brent Harsh wrote:

Susan Gillispie wrote:

Kelly Garner wrote:

If anyone can identify these mystery plants (one a weed, one
hopefully not a weed), I would be grateful!

Play along at home! Grab your friends!

http://www.ibiblio.org/kelly/garden/mystery.html

Many thanks, KJ

I agree that the top one is a four o'clock. The bottom one is a weed
here but is also sold in Home Depot. It's called "trumpet vine" and
it climbs high in the trees and then has orange blooms. It actually
can be

Wow - in my yard, the bottom one is growing *very* invasively! We
thought that it was a clematis we planted from bareroot stock 3 years
back that never came up... then the next year, in around that same place
came this vine that filled the fence (but never flowered). We let it go
a year, then wanted to remove the fence from that area and my mother
moved the main plant over to another fence. We tilled where the old
fence used to be. Now I have to pull about 10 of these things a month
in the old spot, all overgrowing about a foot or two around and among
the nice dahlias and dianthus we planted there! Argh! I am leery of
the "mother plant" but we removed it away to the corner of the yard, so
perhaps I don't care about that one - I just wish we hadn't chopped up
the roots by tilling its old location, because every molecule of
leftover root seems to be taking off!

rather showy. Watch out for the four o'clock, though. In my hard
they are extremely invasive.

I have been pulling those up for about 12 years. I think they have such
extensive roots that it is impossible to get them all. I use a shovel
to get them up and still they come back. I think the fact that they are
native also helps them. But if you go to Home Depot or Lowe's there's
always some newbie to the area with one of those things in a pot on a
trellis.