Old 23-07-2004, 03:32 PM
Vox Humana

Default suitable plants for memorial

"Tom" wrote in message
om...
I have bought a catnip plant, and will give this a try. This seems
like a fitting plant. I have also planted speedwell, coral bells, and
will give astilbe, queen of the meadow and columbine a try. I have a
rose that has been growing indoors (patiohit) and will see what
happens with this. These plants don't necesarily fill all my
requirements, but from what I have found out should do well in the
shade (?)
Not sure about hosta-there is another one in my garden and it's huge
and not particularly interesting.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions

As I recall, you said that the area got very little light. Speedwell
(veronica) requires a good deal of light to bloom well. It also is prone to
powdery mildew. Planting it in a low light situation will invite trouble.
The same goes for the rose. You will get very few flowers and increase the
likelihood of fungal diseases by planting in low light. I find that
heuchera (coral bells) does best in part sun, with afternoon shade. I have
some that will be moved next year because they have done poorly in shade. I
have had better luck with tiarella in mostly shady areas. My filipendula
(queen of the meadow) in unremarkable in full shade next to my gold standard
hostas which are thriving. On the other hand, my astilbies do fine in
mostly shade (as well as mostly sun) as long as they are evenly moist at all
times. My tircyrtis (toad lilies) also do best in mostly shade and do
poorly in sunny areas. There are thousands of varieties of hostas from very
tiny to gigantic. While they may not be show stoppers (although the large
ones can qualify), they are reliable, sturdy plants that thrive in a wide
variety of stetting with little care.