Old 23-07-2004, 09:06 PM
Kenneth

Default Potato troubles...?

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:24:24 -0400, William Wagner
wrote:

In article ,
(FarmerDill) wrote:

Howdy,

I am (brand) new to planting potatoes and decided to put in two
varieties: Yukon Golds and Russets.

Kenneth

don't know where you are or when you planted them. But potatoes vines tend to
die suddenly when they have finished producing a crop of tubers. In the mid
Atlantic, this occurs in late June early July at which time the potatoes are
dug. Here in Georgia, very early June.

Yup good advice. Also remember it is possible to take small potatoes
early on. Take a peak a few weeks after flowers. Yummy boiled with
parsley and butter added or an early potato salad after the stored
potatoes have dulled our sense buds.
Either way tis good to know what fresh can be.

William(Bill)

Hello all,

The puzzle is that I believed that the vines never flowered...

Someone with whom I work pointed out this morning that I was away from
the garden from about June 10 for nearly two weeks...

I live in New Hampshire...

It now appears likely that I simply missed the flowering of the vines.

This morning I got out a fork, trudged over to the garden, and
harvested the first of my potatoes. They were wonderful!

Thanks to all,

--
Kenneth