Old 30-07-2004, 02:39 AM
Kira Dirlik

Default question for the entomologist

No one has answered. I have lots of carpenter bee holes, but the two
wasps I have build those pancake, "honeybee" plates, hanging down from
the eaves, or are the mud-daubers, who build the tubes of clay onto
the side of my house.
I would also love to learn about your resident insects.
Kira

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 15:34:56 -0400, E Gregory
wrote:

Hi garden folks, I hope you will excuse my entomology question to this
gardens group, I remember that there is an entomologist (at lease one)
among us! Anyway, my question, there are some wasps using the Carpenter
Bee holes in my fascia boards. The wasps are shaped like paper wasps, I
don't know whether they're black or brown in color, but they use the
holes, I suspect to lay eggs, and then they fly up with a piece of
grass, the stem and blade, and put it into the hole. Right now there
are about a dozen pieces of grass sticking out of the fascia board on
one side (north) of my house. Any idea what type of wasp this might be?
I love this stuff and am very curious!
Thanks,
Eileen