Old 23-07-2004, 08:46 PM
Vox Humana

Default Planting along a north facing garage wall - zone 5

"Matt" wrote in message
gy.com...

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

Unless you have a very formal setting, I would avoid planting a rigidly
symmetrical plan with identical tall plants at the ends and in the

middle.
I would instead plant some groupings of taller plants (small trees and
shrubs) on the ends with shorter shrubs and perennials in front of them.
The plants in each grouping shouldn't all be repeated in each grouping.

The
focal point between the windows doesn't have to be a plant. You could
install a trellis or some other structure to support a vine.Furthermore,

the
Emerald Green Arborvitae are deadly common and don't do that well in the
shade. Eventually one or more will decline, leaving you with a rigid
planting scheme that is ruined due to the loss of key plants. If you

try
purchase a like-size replacement in 8 years, it will be very costly.

Trying
to break-up a long expanse by punctuating it with tall, cylindrical

plants
seems unnatural. I would replace the arborvitae with trees such as

dogwood,
crabapples, Japanese Maple, redbud, or magnolia. Instead of the

boxwood,
would consider fothergilla, itea, azaleas, spirea, clethera, or other

shrubs
with multi-season interest that do well in your area.

Large garden centers often have landscape designers who will make a

master
plan for a nominal fee. They will usually credit the fee if you by the
plants from them within a specified time. I would look around at

commercial
and residential installations in your area and take notes and pictures.

Thanks for the feedback. As far as it being a rigid symmetrical plan, the
only thing that would be symmetrical would be a single arborvitae at each
end. We intended to use some other taller plantings in between the

windows.
The problem I see with your suggestions is the width of the bed being a
limiting factor. The bed is only 6' between the sidewalk and the house.

We
figured the arborvitae which grows to 4' wide would fill this space nicely
without growing into the house or out over the sidewalk. Also, we have
several crabapples already. One out in the lawn, about 25' from the

corner
of the house, and another crab up close to the house in front of the

dining
room windows. This crab is only about 8 feet or so from the corner of

this
bed where we inteded to put the arborvitae. Another idea I had was to use
larger flowering shrubs such as a Rose of Sharon shrub or possibly a
fragrant viburnum. I like your suggestion of the trellis, and we too had
thought of that also. But I don't think this trellis would get enough sun
for any flowering vines such as clematis or similar. And I don't know of
any flowering vines that are showy in shade. There is a large nursery

that
offers design services, which we may look into further.
thanks for your suggestions.
Matt

Without seeing the site, it is hard to give good advice. I wouldn't limit
the bed to one side of the walkway. If possible, I would let the walk
bisect the bed, at least in one or two areas. You have to think outside the
box sometimes. Of course the final selection of plant material has to
please you, but the thought of framing the structure with arborvitae doesn't
appeal to me. The best reason for using that particular plant is that it is
a fast grower, but it sounds like a done deal.