Old 29-07-2004, 06:42 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Slow ripening

"Ken Anderson" wrote:

There was some mention at the poker table last night about how the tomatoes
around here look good, but aren't ripening. I mean, mine are still green
without a trace of orange yet. Anyone else noticing a slow ripening of
tomatoes this year? I'm in northern Ohio.

I thought maybe it was the plants I bought this year.

I grew a Sweet 100(grape tomatoes) which is now a 6-7' tall bush and
they just starting turning in the last week. I figured they would have
turned by late june. I've had green tomatoes on that plant since early
june. Most(80%) of the ripes are split on that plant. Maybe
sweet100's are prone to splitting. I don't think I'll grow it next
year.

Mine and my neighbor's beefsteaks look good. I had two go ripe a week
ago. Several days ago a few of the lower branches started blushing.
One or two almost there--1-3 days more.

My Roma looks like a lost cause. It is still only a foot and a half
high. The Beafsteak next to it, transplanted the same day is 6'+ and
growing. My healthy kick seeds which I planted AS SEEDS in May are
bigger and healthier and bearing fruit. If I wasn't worrried about
disturbing roots of the surrounding plants I 'd dig the Roma up and
plant the Healthy kicks in the ground instead of the tiny bowl they
are in.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/