Old 29-07-2004, 07:24 PM
Stan Goodman

Default Diogs where they don't belong

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:46:45 UTC, (Glenna Rose) opined:
writes:

Glenna, Stan explained that he lived in an area where a motion sprinkler
would not be feasible in a reply to me. From his posts, he is not in
the US and perhaps can't even get a hold of one. I remember seeing a
DIY project for one online but don't have the link. At any rate, he is
asking for a fiable solution to a problem. As gardeners, I'm sure we
can help him with this problem.

The subsequent posts arrived on my server later which explained he did not
have easy accessibility to the sprinklers which made my comments sound
extremely unkind. Unfortunately, my comments were likely a result of
folks (locally) who don't want to bother with simple solutions (like
ladybugs or a spray from the garden hose) when they can go down to the
garden shop and get an impressive looking container of poison for a few
aphids on one plant. Of course, being a bit on the lazy side, I'd rather
use the sprinkler (or a similar option for whatever problem) than to
spray/sprinkle anything which has to be repeated. Perhaps this partially
comes from trying to break my tomcat from spraying in the house which he
started at the age of three (neutered at six months). Among other
solutions was one to spray a certain solution daily everywhere suspected
of having been sprayed by him. BTW, none of the recommended things worked
leaving the only logical thing to keep him mostly outside and allow him
inside in the utility room or bathroom only (or actually being held). His
sister and he are important to me, their affection and un-intrusive
companionship being part of the my recovery from my son's death, so having
him put down was not an option. Giving him to someone else might result
in him being abandoned by his new owner as was a tomcat that I cared for
at my previous house. Trust me, I have no such affection or attachment
the apricot-destroying squirrel!

Unfortunately I do not seem to get all the posts on my server, evidenced
by responses to which the original post never appeared. Therefore, I owe
Stan an apology for my curt reply

Stan, I offer you my apology for my seemingly unkind remarks which I hope
you feel generous enough to accept. I can be rather curt at times but
certainly did not mean to be unkind or mean-spirited towards you. This
was a time I should have waited and re-read my reply in the morning rather
than send it.

Glenna

Glenna...

Please put it out of your mind. What our unfortunate exchange shows is only
the difficulty of communicating at a distance, through a written medium that
gives the illusion of informal chat, but filters out facial expressions,
tones of voice, and knowledge of each other's history. You do not owe me an
apology. I hope I don't owe you one, but only you can know.

Your news reading problem is easily solved. My ISP, like yours apparently,
attaches little importance to Usenet, simply because most of his subscribers
don't use newsgroups. I found that when I used his news server, articles
were often much delayed, some articles never appeared, and some that I wrote
were not propogated to the rest of the world. There are free news servers in
the world that you can use that never miss a trick, and on which delays are
minimal. I use, and heartily recommend, It is operated by the Free
University of Berlin, and has a website at
http://news.cis.dfn.de

The website is all in German, but there is an email address to which you can
write (even in English) with questions about connecting. Once you connect,
you won't be troubled with language. You have to register, but that is free.
The only conditions are that you have to post articles ONLY with a valid
From address, and that you do not post binary files. I have never been
dissatisfied with their service.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendam.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.