Old 30-07-2004, 09:40 AM
David W.E. Roberts

Default A plague of plagues?

Hi,

earlier in the year (and still, to some extent) we had a plague of greenfly.
The leaves on the plums and apples were solid underneath with green sucking
things.

Last weekend we were suddenly covered in ladybirds - just everywhere.
Presumably a sign that the first generation did well off the greenfly crop
and bred like good little predators with a super abundance of prey.
Glad to see them, sorry there were so many on the lawn - hope they
compost/mulch down well.

This morning the air is full of (I think) hoverflies. These look like
semi-transparent wasps. It almost looks like snow blowing horizontally,
there are so many. Sounds like it is raining when you go under our garden
tenty thing - all the flies bashing against the material from underneath.
Slightly worrying that they all seem to be heading West in a steady stream -
where are they coming from and where are they going?

So that is 3 plagues so far - do we have another 4 to go?
Slightly worried about my firstborn son now (well, more so than the usual
worries about unemployment, lack of money, ability to do nothing until 22:00
when he suddenly comes alive and starts cooking.....bloody graduates).

Anyone seen Nostrodamus around recently, I've got a couple of questions.

Cheers
Dave R