Old 30-07-2004, 11:53 AM
Dwayne

Default Growing Potatoes?

I have bought them before and they have done well. I have put them in tires
and they rotted (too much rain and watering, the tires kept in the water), I
put them inside a wire cage and mulched them with dry grass. The rain made
the grass wet and it started composting. The potatoes rotted again.

The best luck I have had is by raking the dirt together in a raised row,
that was 8 to 10 inches high. Then I pulled the dirt out back to ground
level every 12 to 18 inches. I laid my seed potato in the ground and
covered it with dirt. Then after it started sprouting, I recovered it every
week or so until the row was level again.

At that time I lived in an area that got a lot of rain just before the
potatoes were ready to dig. If you hadnt planted them in a hill you had to
dig them all right away, or they would rot in the ground.

Keep in mind that potatoes grow from the seed potato up. As the potato
grows it sends out roots on which the potatoes form. My first potato
planting was a disaster. I planted them on top of the row and received
about 1 potato for each plant.

Dwayne

"MC" surftravelATyahooDOTcom wrote in message
Hey hey!

Some interesting info here ... I will keep it in mind - thanks again for
your replies - I am only new to growing for the dinner table (or growing

at
all, for that matter), so I just love all the info and opinions I can get!

I am thinking of getting some Desiree certified organic tubers ... anyone
had any luck or got any info on these?

Cheers,
Mick