Old 30-07-2004, 11:17 AM
Charles Thorpe

Default A plague of plagues?

David W.E. Roberts wrote:

Hi,

earlier in the year (and still, to some extent) we had a plague of
greenfly. The leaves on the plums and apples were solid underneath
with green sucking things.

Know the feeling, never seen as many!

Last weekend we were suddenly covered in ladybirds - just
everywhere. Presumably a sign that the first generation did well off
the greenfly crop and bred like good little predators with a super
abundance of prey. Glad to see them, sorry there were so many on the
lawn - hope they compost/mulch down well.

I had lots of ladybirds earlier in the year, but they dissapeared to
be replaced by black wnd white fly over everything.

This morning the air is full of (I think) hoverflies. These look
like semi-transparent wasps. It almost looks like snow blowing
horizontally,

Well, I've just come in from the garden, after being amazed at how
many there were - thousands of them. Lots of butterflies too, only
white ones though.

Do they eat white and blackfly, I've noticed that over the last few
days, they are much reduced. I was thinking the soapy water and
squishing them was gradually working, but maybe the hoverflies are
having a feast!

So that is 3 plagues so far - do we have another 4 to go?
Slightly worried about my firstborn son now (well, more so than the
usual worries about unemployment, lack of money, ability to do
nothing until 22:00 when he suddenly comes alive and starts
cooking.....bloody graduates).

Also looking for a job and broke as well!

Anyone seen Nostrodamus around recently, I've got a couple of
questions.

If you see him, I've a couple as well!

--
Regards, Charles