Old 27-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Dwayne

Default Asparagus in TEXAS; is it possible??

I would suggest planting it in a raised bed, with some method of keeping
crab grass from getting into it. I had an 80 ft raised bed in Arkansas and
it did great until the grab grass took over. It didn't kill it out, but it
did make it look bad and robbed the nutrients from the asparagus.

I bordered mine with landscape timbers. two and three high. I should have
dug out the grass for 4 to 6 inches on either side of the bed and mixed up
some concrete and filled in those 4 to 6 inches. That way you can mow the
weeds away and the crab grass cant get in unless it goes under.

I would also have made it a little taller (4 to 6 inches tall doesn't keep
the grass out very well). Other than that we had a lot of good asparagus.
Get the hybrid that is all male and gets big. If you are going to go to all
that work, you might as well get the best you can.

Dwayne

"Garland Grower" wrote in message
Is it okay to try Asparagus in East Texas; zone 7-8?

--
Rita
Garland, TX