Old 30-07-2004, 07:59 PM
paghat

Default How to Stop Overgrowth Behind Garage

In article ,
(Brian) wrote:

My detached garage is only a few feet from my neighbor's detached
garage and every summer there is a ton of overgrowth of weeds and
little trees between and behind our garages. I spend several hours a
week pulling weeds and cutting things just to keep it under control.
This is not an area that is viewable from the street, but I don't want
the weeds and trees damaging my garage. Does anyone have any
suggestions on how to limit the growth of this stuff and cut down on
the amount of maintenance I have to do to keep it under control? Any
ideas will be appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Thanks,

Brian

Put cardboard boxes down to smother all plant life, & cover the cardboard
with fully composted manure so it looks humusy & pleasant Almost nothing
will seed in pure manure compost because it would need to be mixed with
dirt to be suitable for plant growth.

A year later, when the cardboard is worm-eaten to nothing, upturn the
by-then plant-free soil & work the manure into the soil a bit, then plant
a sturdy shade-tolerant one to two-foot-tall groundcover such as
Pachysandra which can keep anything else from growing in that spot. I'm
assuming it's a shady spot; if it's sunny you'd have even more choices
groundcovesr or creeping vines. This method should result in the area
rarely ever needing further attention.

You could alternatively arrange some flagstones to create a little path &
fill the area with space-appropriate perennials or dwarf evergreen trees
or swordferns -- turning it into a real garden instead of unused ground
that just invites weeds.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Visit the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl: