Old 25-07-2004, 03:31 AM
Suzie-Q

Default Lawn care causes crabgrass?

In article 2004072413081516807%ktappe@NOvoicenetSPAMcom,
Kurt Tappe wrote:

- I live in a townhouse with a lawn that is connected to the neighbors on
- either side of me. I know for a fact that these neighbors perform no
- lawn care other than occasional mowing. I, on the other hand, put down
- weed & feed twice a year, overseed, and apply lime when necessary.
-
- So guess whose lawn has been taken over by crabgrass?
-
- The infestation literally stops at the property line. My (former) lawn
- is 90% crabgrass while my negiligent neighbors have attractive grass.
-
- The obvious conclusion is that my efforts are somehow causing/allowing
- the crabgrass to flourish. I wait until the lawn is pretty high to
- mow--no scalping is taking place. I have not put pre-emergents
- down...but neither did the neighbors. Could the weed & feed be
- weakening the grass enough that the (apparently immune) crabgrass can
- take hold? If so does this mean the whole weed & feed concept is a
- farce?

Just to give you a heads-up for next year. There is a product that
will prevent crabgrass. I think it's made by Scotts and it's called
a pre-emergent or something like that. You spread it on the lawn in
the early spring and it is supposed to prevent crabgrass from taking
root.

Sorry I have no advice for your current problem.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://home.earthlink.net/~sme617