Old 30-07-2004, 03:50 PM
GrlIntrpted

Default Cork Mounting Question

When you say on the inside of the cork, and that the inside is black, what
do you mean?
I purchase my mounting corks in large pieces, then I have my husband
literally hack the darn things to the desired size. The cork comes in a
blocks, big curvy porous blocks. When cut, it's not black on the inside,
it's reddish. Depending on the species, some I'll mount by tying fishline
without any other media. Others, I'll tie either fish line or tie wraps
together with sphag wrapped around the roots. I have Phals, Dendrobiums,
some Catts, Epis, Bl's, all mounted in this fashion. Some take longer for
the roots to grab, others grab onto the cork as if there is no tomorrow.
Can you explain the concept of "inside" and "black on the inside"?

Mariana

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
nk.net...
Wendy,

Last year at the National Capitol Orchid Society Show there was an exhibit
where someone had a couple of plants on the inside of a cork mount. It
looked like the orchids were growing inside of a boat.

Could your problem be that the type of plant does not appreciate a smooth
surface to grab onto. I have a couple of chilochistas that I'm trying to
grow on the outside of bark and they just don't want to grab on. I have
heard that they prefer a very smooth surface.

Gene

"Wendy" wrote in message
I have noticed that over the years I have mounted some orchids
on the inside of a round hollow piece of cork.
The plants struggle & I have lost a couple.
The inside of the cork has a dark lining if you will on it.
Could this be a poison to the plants?
Cheers Wendy