Old 30-07-2004, 07:24 PM
Charles

Default OT(kindof) We can do better!

On 30 Jul 2004 17:17:14 GMT, EROSPAM (Ka30P) wrote:

All right, all rec.pond male ponders.
I want you to go out to the pond tonight and do your best!
(Do what, you ask? Read through to the bottom of the
article. I expect results!)

Biologists Croak to Their Animals

LONDON (Reuters) - British biologists have taken a leaf out of the literary
Doctor Doolittle's book and started talking to their animals.
*"We have been croaking to our tree frogs for about two weeks now. They respond
and it makes it easier to find them," Robin Mulford, a biologist at Bournemouth
Oceanarium on England's south coast, told Reuters Friday.
"We croak and the males croak back. But the females stay quiet," he said by
telephone.
The chatty, color-changing male frogs respond to any loud noise, trying to
outdo the volume and attract a mate.
But while the Bournemouth biologists may manage to fool the male tree frogs,
the females are proving more canny.
"None of us has attracted a female with our croaking so far," Mulford said.
kathy :-)
algae primer

I'm "between frogs" right now, so I guess I'll go out and make a noise
like a goldfish.

--

- Charles
-