Old 28-07-2004, 08:07 PM
richard.sadler

Default Weather - or the lack of it

Nope you are not alone, excluding the last 3 days, I have watered every two
or three days since last April. Every none gardener I talked to, has
invariably come-up with, " Good for growing weather", but below 1/2 cm's dry
dust. However when I add the other challenges, Slugs and Snails by the
bucket load, (more than I have ever experienced before), limited help from
the Foxes in clearing the slugs but paying themselves by eating all my
Strawberries, Squirrels eating all the shoulders of my carrots ie those few
left by the Carrot Fly. Potatoes decimated by Blight earlier than I have
ever known it to appear,( Early July) Pidgeons stripping all my Sprouts,
Iceberg Lettuce rotten with Botrytis and Cats ,(13 in the neighbourhood),
breaking my cotton barriers to dig and do what comes naturally. I have just
been to check the outdoor tomatoes and discovered instances of Blight. I am
still resisting using pesticides but I must admit it is very testing this
year. Got some superb Broad Beans, teaches one humility. I am in the
Stoke-on-Ttrent area. Regards Richard
"David Hill" wrote in message
Is anyone else going through our weather patterns or is it confined to
Landscove?! We are having dull days, sometimes with ferocious black

clouds
piling up but not a drop of rain worth mentioning. It's warm, to and
unpleasantly airless at times. We're having to water both garden and
nursery morning and night.
I know this area can be a bit of a micro-climate but this is starting to

get
silly!

Sacha

I could just change Landscove for Skewen and put my name in place of

yours.

Only one bit of good rain in the last couple of months. Lots of dull days
when it looks like rain but we get the odd 5 mins of drizzle.
I hate to think of my next water bill.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries