Old 30-07-2004, 11:35 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Tomato varieties.

Don't have much in the way of experience but

Fourth of July from Burpee did really well last year. Slightly larger
than cherry sized. About 2-2.5 oz. I liked them, got about 18 lbs from
one plant. My friend had a very meaty cherry tomato growing. Very
good--cherry sized but more like a meaty plum inside. She hasn't
divulged the variety yet. I don't care for fruit that are like
balloons of juice.

Health KIck, a plum style, from Burpee seems to do well for me. Big
bush, productive. I screwed my flas this year and lost my first
batches. I ended up buying plants form Home Depot in May. For giggles
I planted Healthy Kick seed in late april(after last frost). I now
have two healthy plants each about 18" tall and spreading 2'+ out from
the tiny pot I put them in. I thought the flavor was good and I
experienced none of the falling off the stems as you have. About 23
lbs from one plant.

Grew Sweet 100 (grape sized) this year. Flavor is decent, but there is
a slight flavor that doesn't strike me as tomato in them. Not
bad...just different. About 80% of them split on me so far. They do
fall off the plants easily. Hard to pick ripe ones without knocking
off the next not-ready one. I will not grow this one again.

Burpee Burger tomatoes were okay. But they were fightig a wilt all
season so the bearing was light and the tomatoes smaller than they
were supposed to be.

My beefsteak is a "SuperSteak VFN" I think--have to go out and see.
Got it at Home Depot. It is growing well, 7 feet tall with 3-4 major
vines off the central stem. (I just suck at pinching out!!) I got two
ripes from this last week which were very good. Meaty and they were
eaten with a little salt and a little mayo...nothing else. I'm low
carbing so a tomato sandwich is a little rich for a snack.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/