Old 26-07-2004, 05:08 AM
Pam - gardengal

Default Coffee grounds--upon what?

"Zemedelec" wrote in message
The local Starbucks has taken to packaging its used coffee grounds in

5-pound,
waterproof bags and leaving a barrel full of them by the door "for our
customers' gardens". I love freebies, so midway through garaging I

grabbed a
bag and took it home with my garage/estate sale finds. Now what? Do I

dump it
around plants as it is or do I need to start a compost heap (in this 100+,

98
percent humidity weather the thought makes me cringe.)
zemedelec

You can scatter the grounds around any acid loving plant - hydrangeas,
camellias, rhodies or azaleas - in fact, pretty much any broadleaf evergreen
shrub will benefit from them. If scattering directly, I wouldn't overdo. A
couple times a season is sufficient.

You could always start that compost pile once the weather cools a bit.

pam - gardengal